Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Fairy in a Jar

Don't let this happen to your fairies!
Always make holes in the lids of your jars when catching fairies, fireflies or anything living!
 
 
 
Quite some time ago I had seen some really cool looking "dead fairies" online.  I decided then that I wanted one of my very own.
 
I am not sure where to find fairies around where I live, and even if I did, I would never want to sacrifice it for a conversation piece. 
 
So I made one.
 
 
After two Halloween's of searching, I finally found these little skeletons.  Six to a package.  They don't move except for at their hip.  Each leg swings freely.
 
The fairies I had found online were all standing up in their jars, leaning against the glass.  I had it in my head that I wanted mine sitting on a mushroom, looking thoughtful. 
 
Things rarely turn out the way we plan them though.  And my first problem was that I had no idea how to shape this little skeleton.  My husband told me that a heat gun would probably do the trick, and he would do it for me since I was a little afraid of burning myself.  So I gathered up a few skeletons and brought them to his shop and modelled how I wanted her sitting.  My husband was able to get her pretty close to what I wanted.  I wanted her chin resting on her hand but that just wasn't meant to be and she wanted to be resting her forehead in her hand.  In retrospect, I like this much better.
 
 
I also scrapped the mushroom idea for two reasons.  I hadn't thought about how I was going to make one yet.  And my husband had this great old branch handy that looked absolutely perfect.

Originally I was going to try to "age" her wings since they had been in the jar as long as the fairy, but I really loved the look of the glittery wings against the rest of the dull, dreary items in the jar.

 
I also scrapped the idea of having a wand lying on the ground by her.  I don't think real fairies have wands.

 
I had a lot of fun making this.  It was nice to spend some time in my husband's shop doing something other than giving him a hand too!
 
Thanks for looking!
:)


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Good job. Strange but cool. Did you make the little flowers too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the little flowers are some baby's breath that I saved from a bouquet. Everything else was scavenged from the yard.

      Delete
  2. Creepy and enchanting... I love it! Great job! If you ever make another one maybe you could attach a battery tea light or coil a glowstick bracelet under the moss or in the underside of the lid. Then you could decorate your home with them at Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the tealight idea! Kind of a spotlight. Cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome! I thought of Tinkerbell trapped in the lantern or fireflies in a jar when I saw this post. Both have a glowing effect so I thought it might be an interesting touch.

      Delete

I love comments! It is nice to know that you are thinking of me.
Thanks for taking the time to leave one.