Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

We all scream for ice cream...cake!!!!!

My daughter's favourite cake is an ice cream cake.  And it couldn't be easier.  Her birthday is today (Happy birthday Sweetie!!!) but this cake was the one for her party earlier.

I'll teach you.  I use a cake mix, a 2L carton of ice cream, a can of frosting and sprinkles.

I start by baking a cake in a 9"x13" pan. 

Usually I put the ice cream on top of the cake and then frost it.  It is very difficult to smear frosting on cold ice cream.  It just slides around.  This year I had the genius idea to slice the cake in half.  Hubby did this for me because he has a nice, steady hand. I put a layer of waxed paper between layers, then froze the cake so I would have a more firm surface to work on later.  I've never tried to add the ice cream to a fresh, squishy cake but I imagine that it would be a bit of a challenge.  (The cake in this photo is already frozen.  I didn't remember to take one while it was fresh.  It was cut while fresh, not frozen)



Then slice up the ice cream (the original directions said to soften the ice cream and spread it on the cake, but I find slicing the ice cream much, much easier) and layer it on the bottom layer of the cake.


Then place the second layer over the ice cream. Yum! Looking good!

Then frost the cake. If you want, you can pop it back into the freezer and frost it later.  The sides are a little awkward to frost because the icing slips and slides on the exposed ice cream, but who is going to be looking that closely?   I'm not a great cake decorator at the best of times, but you have to work pretty quickly so the ice cream doesn't melt.

But it's okay, because you can disguise it with sprinkles!   My daughter likes pink and she likes sparkles, so sparkly pink sugar is perfect for her!

With some round sprinkles and star quins thrown on there too.

Now, cover it and get it back in the freezer.  Take it out about ten minutes before you want to serve it to let the cake thaw a little.  Otherwise it is rather difficult to cut and just as difficult to eat!

Try it yourself!  Nobody needs to know how easy it was!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! It is nice to know that you are thinking of me.
Thanks for taking the time to leave one.