Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Make Your Own Ice Block Centerpiece

And it won't melt!

I'm not big on table top centerpieces.  Mostly because our table is pretty small once the four of us are sitting at it for dinner.  Centrepieces have a way of getting placed on a different table during dinner and left there.  Forgotten.  But I love this ice one and use it every now and then.

My next-door-neighbour taught me how to make this about five years ago.  I think she learned from a local TV show.  Sorry I can't give better credit than that.



For this you will need:
A large, clear vase.  (I like the rectangular look, but my neighbour's was cylindrical and looked awesome)
A clear candle holder (again, up to you.  I believe my neighbour had hers in another vase, level with her large one and had the candle at the bottom)
If your candle holder is short like mine, you'll need another object to raise it up.  I use a mason jar.
Clear basket wrap.  You know, that clear plastic film you can get at the dollar store.  I wipe this off, and fold it up and re-use it.  You don't have to toss it out when you dismantle your centrepiece if you plan to make it again.
Not shown: a candle, a poking device (I used a metal skewer with a handle), a jug of water










Start by placing your jar in your big vessel and start jamming the basket wrap around the jar.















Once it is about level with the jar, add some water.  Start by filling up the jar.  I just let the jar overflow until the water is about three-quarters of the way up the side of the jar.











This photo is supposed to show you that the jar is full of water...











Then you place your candle holder on the jar and continue jamming the basket wrap all around it.  Messy is good, in this case. Then fill it most of the way up with water, being careful not to fill the candle holder.








You can see the jar here. 

That is where the handy, dandy poking device comes in.  Trust me and don't use the sharp end of the skewer (if you are using a skewer).  All you will do is poke holes in your plastic.  I'm sure you can guess how I know that.....
Just gently push and poke the wrap around until you are happy with the way it looks.  You can still see my jar a little, but I am okay with that.  You have to be  looking pretty close to notice.








Then top it up with a little more water, getting pretty close to the top.
Hmmm....  My candle holder started to float.  I don't remember that happening before.










I had to add some clear "squashed" marbles (because that is what I had on hand) to weigh it down.














Then light your candle and enjoy the compliments. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cool idea for the candle. I might need to try this next time I want something romantic.

    I wonder if an LED would work in this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It is nice to know that you are thinking of me.
Thanks for taking the time to leave one.