Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chain Chomp plush


I love video games.  Back in October, I followed a tutorial here and made a very cute Boo plush.
See?  I told you!  Cute, right?


I have wanted a Chain Chomp ever since.

I have never made a pattern of my own before and had no idea where to start, so I just used what I already had.  The Boo pattern.  I was pretty sure that if I used her pieces, but cut four of the plain ones instead of two (because Chain Chomps don't have tails) I would end up with a ball shape. 
So that is what I tried.  I cut four out of black (yes, it really is black) felt.

Sewed two together along one side, then the other two together along one side, then sewed the two half-circles I just made together.  Leaving a gap for turning of course.  I know felt does not fray and doesn't need to be cut with pinking shears, but they are new and I wanted to use them!

Here is my method for remembering to leave a gap for turning.  I hope I am not the only person who has happily sewed a piece completely closed before...
My trick is to put a whole bunch of pins in the area tha I am leaving opened.  It is a good visual reminder because you just can't miss all those pins and continue to sew your piece shut.

Then I turned it, stuffed it and sewed it shut.  After that I ran the lint brush over it to clean all the stuffing scraps off of it.

I didn't take pictures of me  fooling with scraps of paper trying to get the features right.  But that is exactly what I did.  Once I liked the paper pieces, I cut them out of felt and sewed them on.  I just cut six small strips of felt and hand sewed them together in loops for the chain.

I really like the way that it turned out.  My thirteen year old deemed him "AWESOME" and that makes me happy too!






Thank you so much Serena for posting your Boo!  I never would have been able to make this without you! Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE it! Chain Chomp is one of the cutest Mario bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks great Im a huge Mario fan and your boo looks awesome

      Delete
  2. Thanks!!! I want to make a Shy Guy too, but can't find a tutorial for one. I'm going to have to wing it, I guess. But not for a while though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! It is nice to know that you are thinking of me.
Thanks for taking the time to leave one.